With hurricane season beginning Tuesday, Federal Emergency Management Agency officials remind residents that now is the time to prepare in the event a tropical storm strikes.
While forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Climate Prediction Center predict this year to be an above-normal season, they do not anticipate the historic level of storm activity seen in 2020. NOAA forecasters predict a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.
“FEMA’s mission to help people before, during and after disasters has never been more critical, given our shared experience during this pandemic,” said FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell in a release. “Even if you’re experiencing disaster fatigue due to your experience with the COVID-19 pandemic, we all must use the lessons learned from it to prepare for potential disasters on the horizon.”
More than 20,000 FEMA employees across the nation stand ready to support state, local, tribal and territorial partners in hurricane-prone areas, Criswell said. “The best way to help your community recover from a disaster is by taking steps now to prepare yourself and your family before a disaster strikes.”
FEMA recommends the following actions to prepare for hurricane season:
- Ensure that you and your family are vaccinated against COVID-19. The vaccines are effective at preventing the disease and reduce the risk of spreading it.
- Visit Ready.gov for information for individuals, individuals with disabilities, families, kids, pets and businesses on how to prepare for hurricane season. Find updated information from the Centers for Disease Control on how to prepare for the hurricane season during the pandemic.
- Build an emergency kit.
- Download the free FEMA app to receive weather alerts and warnings for up to five different locations in the United States.