MOREHEAD CITY – The North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries has announced a public hearing on proposed shellfish leases in Carteret County.
The hearing will be in person at 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 14, at the division’s Central District Office, 5285 Highway 70 West, Morehead City, and by WebEx.
The following applicants are to be heard:
- Roy Graham and Tammy Nobles for a 1.59-acre shellfish bottom lease and water column lease in Harlowe Creek.
- James Tyler Chadwick for a 5.57-acre shellfish bottom lease and water column lease in Adams Creek.
- Larry G. Kellum Jr. for a 1.07-acre shellfish bottom lease in North River.
- Salt Air Ventures Inc., Charles S. Merritt, agent, for a 2.62-acre shellfish bottom lease in Newport River.
- Alexander E. Chadwick for a 1.05-acre shellfish bottom lease in Lower North River.
- James A. Morris Sr. for an 8.87-acre shellfish bottom lease and water column lease in Long Bay.
- Sea Level Shellfish Co. LLC, James A. Morris Jr., agent, for a 6.62-acre shellfish bottom lease and water column lease in Long Bay.
The public may comment on the above lease applications in person at the hearing or by WebEx. To facilitate online comments, the division asks those who wish to speak via WebEx to register by 4 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 13. Those who wish to comment in person should sign up on-site between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. the night of the hearing.
Go online for public hearing information, including the web conference link, call-in telephone number, presentation slides, and biological investigation reports.
The public may also comment on the proposed shellfish leases in writing. Written comments will be accepted until 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 15, and may be submitted in the following ways:
- Online via the online form.
- Mailed to the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries, Shellfish Leases, P.O. Box 769, Morehead City, NC 28557.