The Dare County Public Works Department plans to collect household hazardous waste May 11-13 at three different locations in the county.
The hazardous waste collections are for county property owners, year-round residents and the agricultural community only.
Drop off hazardous waste for safe disposal 9 a.m.-3 p.m. May 11 at Kitty Hawk Town Hall, 101 Veterans Memorial Drive, Kitty Hawk; 2-4 p.m. May 12 at Buxton Transfer Station, 47015 Buxton Back Road, Buxton; and 9 a.m.-1 p.m. May 13 at Dare County Public Works, 1018 Driftwood Drive, Manteo.
Dare County residents may use any of the three locations during the three-day household hazardous waste collection.
Materials that will be accepted at all of the collection locations include the following:
- Paints, polishes, varnishes, paint-related materials and turpentine.
- Aerosol cans, adhesives and mercury.
- Household cleaners and pool chemicals.
- Herbicides, insecticides and pesticides.
- Fluorescent light bulbs and small batteries.
- Gasoline, motor oil, antifreeze and fuel additives.
- Automotive batteries and automotive fluids.
Materials that are typically not accepted include the following:
- Commercial, business and industrial waste.
- Explosives, bullets and radioactive material.
- 55-gallon drums of material and cylinders other than propane and fire extinguishers.
Dare County residents and property owners are asked to mark any unlabeled containers that will be dropped off during the household hazardous waste collection.