Updated Oct. 3: State officials decided Wednesday to continue ferry service between Hatteras and Ocracoke-Silver Lake on the following schedule: Hatteras to Ocracoke-Silver Lake: 6 a.m., 11:15 a.m., 4:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. and Ocracoke-Silver Lake to Hatteras: 8:45 a.m., 2:30 p.m., 7:15 p.m. and 12:30 a.m.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation’s Ferry Division announced Wednesday that ferry service between Hatteras and Ocracoke’s Silver Lake will be discontinued Thursday.
As Ocracoke continues to recover from Hurricane Dorian, Hyde County is allowing only residents, non-resident property owners and personnel authorized by the county’s emergency management to access the island. All motorists and pedestrians boarding an Ocracoke-bound ferry must meet the reentry criteria or be given prior approval by Hyde County.
NCDOT ferries will be running between Hatteras and the Ocracoke South Dock at the north end of Ocracoke Island on the following schedule beginning Thursday:
- Hatteras to Ocracoke South Dock: 6, 7, and 8 a.m., 5, 6, and 7 p.m.
- Ocracoke-South Dock to Hatteras: 7:30, 8:30 and 9:15 a.m., 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30 p.m.
- Swan Quarter to Ocracoke: 11 a.m., 1 p.m., and 5 p.m.
- Ocracoke to Swan Quarter: 9:30 a.m., 2 p.m., 8 p.m.
- Cedar Island to Ocracoke: 7 a.m., 10:30 a.m., and 4:30 p.m.
- Ocracoke to Cedar Island: 7:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 4 p.m.
Reservations on these routes are highly recommended and can be obtained by calling 1-800-BY-FERRY. All reservation holders must arrive at the terminal one hour before departure time. In addition, same-day reservations for ferries departing Ocracoke are not available, and next-day reservations must be made before 4 p.m.
Volunteer groups approved to access Ocracoke are encouraged to board the ferries without vehicles to leave as much deck space as possible for vehicles necessary for hurricane recovery services.