Dare County will receive more than $5.5 million to help restore beaches and stabilize dunes in Buxton that were damaged by 2018’s Hurricane Florence.
Through the state and Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Public Assistance program funds, the county will be reimbursed $5,782,866 for the cost of depositing 303,732 cubic yards of engineered dune beach sand and 5,000 feet of sand fencing along 3 miles of the north and south ends of the Outer Banks beaches in Buxton.
The public assistance program is a cost-sharing program that provides grants for state and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations to reimburse the cost of debris removal, emergency protective measures and permanent repair work.
FEMA’s share for the project is $4,337,149 and the state’s share is $1,445,716.
FEMA reimburses applicants at least 75% of eligible costs and the remaining 25% is covered by the state. The federal share is paid directly to the state to disburse to agencies, local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations that incurred costs.