Currituck County is collecting household hazardous waste Saturday at two locations.
The annual household hazardous waste events are from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Currituck County Judicial Center, 2801 Caratoke Highway, Currituck, and from 9 a.m. to noon at the Southern Outer Banks Water Plant at 734 Ocean Trail, Corolla.
The Currituck County Board of Commissioners, North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Currituck County Center of North Carolina Cooperative Extension and Ecoflo Inc., which is providing certified household hazardous waste collection, are sponsors of the collection event. Ecoflo Inc. has the right to refuse any waste deemed unsafe to handle or unsuitable for the collection.
For additional information call Currituck County Public Works at 252-232-2504.
The following household hazardous waste Items will be accepted:
- Antifreeze and other automotive fluid
- Household batteries
- Fire extinguishers
- Propane tanks, camp and grill
- Alkaline and acidic cleaners
- Pool chemicals
- Weed and feed
- Oil-based paints
- Paint thinners and solvents
- Wood filler
- Mercury, including thermometers, thermostats and debris
- Florescent light tubes
The following items will not be accepted:
- Latex paint
- Business waste including commercial hazardous waste
- Explosives including ammunition
- Radioactive materials
- Smoke detectors
- Unknown gas or chemicals in bulk form
- Prescription drugs
- Asbestos materials
- Large quantities of unknown materials
- Biohazardous waste, infectious waste, needles and syringes