Photo of the Week: March 16 – 22, 2015
Photograph by Cathy Martin of Emerald Isle.
This photo of an abandoned water shed once used by the Pamlico Rowing Club of Raleigh is a popular subject for photographers and painters who visit Washington — a small town on the north bank of the Pamlico River affectionately called “Little Washington” to not be confused with the capital — however, little is known of the old building, which is currently unused and up for sale.
Librarians at Little Washington’s regional library were able to dig up some clues about what’s shown in this picture in a book titled Washington, North Carolina by Louis Van Camp. The water shed is at the rear of the Havens-Moss gristmill, built in c. 1830 and located downtown on W. Main Street. Jonathan Havens was a merchant and dealer in corn, meal, hay, oats, cotton seed meal, hulls and coal. During the Great Depression, a grain bank was operated there to help farmers. The mill is no longer in use, but the majority of its machinery can still operate. The Havens Wharf building can be seen just to the left.