Reprinted from the Island Free Press.
The public invited to comment on projects related to passenger ferry service between Hatteras Island to Ocracoke Island at two meetings in late March.
The two meetings will be held at the following locations, dates and times:
- Wednesday, March 29, 5-6 p.m. in the Education Room, Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum, 59200 Museum Drive, Hatteras.
- Thursday, March 30, 11 a.m.-noon at the Ocracoke Community Center, 999 Irvin Garrish Highway, Ocracoke.
The meetings are being held by the North Carolina Department of Transportation and Cape Hatteras National Seashore, which are working together on the projects. Topics include:
- The location of enhanced parking for passenger ferry vehicles on Hatteras Island.
- A location for a shade/rain shelter for passenger ferry patrons at the Silver Lake/visitor center area.
- A possible restroom capacity enhancement at Silver Lake or the park visitor center area.
- A minor modification to the Silver Lake boat docks to accommodate passenger ferry docking and safe maneuverability.
The National Park Service is to complete an environmental assessment related to the proposed actions.
Public comments can also be submitted online March 15-April 13, or mailed to: Superintendent, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, 1401 National Park Drive, Manteo, NC 27954.