The North Carolina Coastal Reserve and National Estuarine Research Reserve will hold advisory committee meetings in December for its 10 coastal reserve sites.
The reserve program protects natural areas for education, research, and compatible traditional uses. Since its creation in 1989, the program has preserved more than 44,000 acres.
Local advisory committees consist of residents and representatives from community organizations, government agencies, and nongovernmental partner organizations who provide the Division of Coastal Management’s Coastal Reserve and National Estuarine Research Reserve staff with guidance and feedback regarding program activities and management of the reserve sites.
The Division of Coastal Management is a division of the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality that works to protect, conserve and manage North Carolina’s coastal resources in the 20 coastal counties.
The following meetings are open to the public:
- Zeke’s Island Reserve 11 a.m. Dec. 4, Fort Fisher Recreation Area education room, 1000 Loggerhead Road, Kure Beach.
- Permuda Island Reserve 10 a.m. Dec. 5, virtual meeting. Use meeting number 2445 732 8693 and password LAC2023.
- Rachel Carson Reserve 3 p.m. Dec. 5, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Beaufort Laboratory, Administration Building, 101 Pivers Island Road, Beaufort.
- Emily and Richardson Preyer Buckridge Reserve 10 a.m. Dec. 6, Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge main office, 205 S. Ludington Drive, Columbia.
- Bird Island Reserve 10 a.m. Dec. 6, Sunset Beach Town Hall’s conference room, 700 Sunset Boulevard North, Sunset Beach.
- Masonboro Island Reserve 1 p.m. Dec. 7, UNCW Center for Marine Science Habitat Conference Room, 5600 Marvin K. Moss Lane, Wilmington.
- Bald Head Woods Reserve 11 a.m. Dec. 12, Bald Head Island Conservancy, 700 Federal Road, Bald Head Island.
- Buxton Woods Reserve 2 p.m. Dec. 12, Fessenden Center, 46830 N.C. 12, Buxton.
- Currituck Banks Reserve 1 p.m. Dec. 13, Outer Banks Center for Wildlife Education, 1160 Village Lane, Corolla.
- Kitty Hawk Woods Reserve 2 p.m. Dec. 14, Kitty Hawk Town Hall, 101 Veterans Memorial Drive, Kitty Hawk.